Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

"Ice" Day = No School

In Alaska, we don't get the normal "snow" days. And reasonably so. We have SO much snow here, why would we need a snow day. No, we actually get so-called "snow" days or, rather, "ice" or "wind" days. Let's be frank here .. do you mind if I call you Frank? Well Frank, it's crappy weather when the wind blows here OR when we have a slight melt with eight inches of snow pack on the roads. Don't know what snow pack is .. it's where .. well .. never mind ... Google it!

So today, because we had a slight warm-up with a drizzling rain yesterday, our snow-packed roads turned into ice rinks. But not the kind you'd want to ice skate on. Do you know how hard it is to hold onto an ice cube that is wet? That's what the roads were like to drive on. It was fun taking our Mo-dog to the groomer today as I turned left and slid down the road perpendicular.

As a result of the ice rink conditions, Kara's school was canceled. If you've been reading my blog at all this week, you'll know that this was the last thing I wanted. Since I've been struggling with Mason's behavior lately. However, I decided early on in the day that I was going to make today a great day. I, also, decided that I was NOT going to stay home today, despite the road conditions.

A friend posted on Facebook about story time at the Palmer Library. I was on that like white on rice. It was at 10:30 in the morning. This gave me time to shower, eat some breakfast and get over to the library. It was well worth the trip. My kids loved listening to the stories about messiness. And loved the finger painting art afterward. I forgot to get pictures of them painting.

Following the painting, we went to the children's section of the library and I let the kids pick out some books to borrow. Kara loves that I give them their age limit in the amount of books they can pick out, because now she gets to pick out SIX whole books! She was EXCITED!!

Mason was taking a break from all the books in the area! He was so amazed there were so many books.

A quick pose for picture to appease mom! I love this girl!

The kids figuring out the next course to take through the children's section.
Following the library the kids were famished hungry, so we took the short drive over to the DQ Grill and Chill for some lunch and some much needed playtime. Even with the warmer temps (at 40 degrees by noon) the kids couldn't go outside to play because it's all coated in a thick layer of slippery ice. So the playland at the DQ is entertaining enough for Kara and skill appropriate for Mason. Our friends joined us and Kara had so much fun playing with her friend in the tunnel.

Again .. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't have pictures of this activity. But the kids enjoyed their lunch and their "Special Day" treat of ice cream. :)

Today, I was going to have to pull Kara out of school anyway, because she had a dentist appointment today along with Mason. Kara is growing so fast. She's lost five teeth and has one loose. When those teeth come out .. they come out in groups. I can't believe that my little girl is 6 and losing teeth. Occasionally, when I hug her I flashback to her as a wee wittle one. It warms my heart to see how smart she is.

I digress. She has beautiful teeth. No cavities. And because her 6-year molars popped through, they were able to seal them today to help prevent cavities. She was a rockstar!

While Kara was busy with her appointment, Mason ran around hugging the bear statues in the waiting area of the dental office. His turn was coming, and he was so excited.


Mason had his VERY first dentist appointment today. He did so good. I'm so proud of my little man acting all grown up. He even let the hygienist take digital images of his teeth. They did confirm today that he does have an extra two teeth on the top. I knew that .. but getting the confirmation was even better. The hygienist was a tad surprised and said "I've never seen this before." Not very comforting if you ask me.

But his "happy appointment" was great! I am so happy my kids do not have a fear of the dentist.



A smile is what we strive for when visiting the dentist!
We ended the day with "Red, White, and Blue Crepes" for dinner! I think today was pretty darn good. It could've and would've been a not so good day if I hadn't determined that it was going to be awesome!

So your next "snow" day with your kids, try to plan some things that are fun and exciting. It makes the day go by smoother. Get out of the house! And do things out of the norm. Your "snow" day with your kids might just turn out to be a "special" day for one of them!

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment