Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Me and Facebook.

Do you ever just get sick and tired of social media; i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Myspace(if it still exists)? And think, what would you do if you got rid of it and went back to snail mail or even .. take a breath .. E-MAIL?!?

As I have been interacting with my family and friends afar over the past few years on Facebook, I've seen many many changes on Facebook. Some I don't mind, some I CANNOT stand. I definitely don't like the ones that change my privacy settings. Look I'm not so paranoid (or arrogant) that I think my children will be targets for child abduction just because their faces are on the Internet. I just think that it is my choice .. and to some extent my right .. to have my pictures private.

I get it, it's the Internet. Don't put things on the Internet that you don't want anyone else to view or know. And the pictures of my children are completely harmless, but they are my children. I guess my rant isn't so much to do with that I dislike Facebook. I think it's a wonderful tool to keep people in contact with each other. I also think it can be used in a malicious way.

I have major problems with people who judge me because of the stuff I choose to put on or not include. I have issues with people who think that I'm a mean person because I didn't invite them to an event and then see pictures of the event on Facebook. Look, this is my life. And I live it how I feel is fit for the well-being of my kids and my husband.

My deal with Facebook is that it can be a huge intrusion into family life, interaction with other humans, the important interaction with our kids. It can be used to cause drama, settle arguments, spread news in a matter of seconds, hurt feelings, get help, get advice. Pretty much anything we need Facebook to do, it can do. But I'm still unsure of why my privacy settings, which are controlled by me, keep getting compromised. This is a big issue for me.

I have broken up with Facebook many times. Then we get back together. I guess I'm just missing the personal connection with people. I do live in Alaska, and this does provide quite the barrier for interaction with our family and friends. This was our choice, and I'm not complaining about that. I just wish there was some other way, besides Facebook, to keep in contact with family that wasn't so ..... impersonal.

So I started a family blog. One that will have our major events in our life splattered all over it. I'm still trying to figure out that blogging setup, because it kind of has some major differences than this blogging set up.

I guess I'm bi-polar with Facebook. It rubs me the wrong way often. I get caught up in the "I hate Facebook" emotion and it overtakes me and I take drastic measure to counter those emotions. My husband would be the happiest man on Earth if I didn't have it. He can't stand it. He also doesn't have one.

So, when I say I'm "leaving Facebook" .. as childish and immature as that statement is ... I'm not really. Just know that I'm frustrated. It's my way of blowing off steam.

I saw a picture at some point on there that said when an adult says they are leaving Facebook it's their way of running away. It's so applicable to me. LOL I'm just packing my figurative suitcase and running down the street to the corner house for a bit. :) Besides .. if I left Facebook .. I couldn't Pinterest! =)

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment