Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

New Year Resolutions

The new year always brings about people's new ideas for changing the who what when where and whys of peoples' lives. I find it interesting that it always begins January 1. What baffles me about this practice of new year resolutions is that you can make anything like that at any point in the year and commit to doing said thing for a year from the start date. It doesn't necessarily have to do with January 1. So where did this practice of "New Year's Resolutions" come from??

According to wikipedia (which I KNOW as a trained journalist this is not a reliable source, but it is an adequate one with a lot of information in one spot):


"The ancient Babylonians made promises to their gods at the start of each year that they would return borrowed objects and pay their debts.[1]
The Romans began each year by making promises to the god Janus, for whom the month of January is named.[2]
In the Medieval era, the knights took the "peacock vow" at the end of the Christmas season each year to re-affirm their commitment to chivalry.[1]
At watchnight services, many Christians prepare for the year ahead by praying and making these resolutions."

 Hmm ... interesting that resolutions like this go so far back in history. I think I kinda like that "peacock vow" I may forward that to Aaron and see if he can put that as his resolution!! AHAHAHAHA just kidding!


I guess when I started thinking about New Year's Resolutions is was just one thing more to set myself up for failure. Don't get me wrong, I have participated over and over again in this practice for as long as I can remember, and my failure rate is somewhere around 94%. However, I also begin the next year with new resolutions, more defined and understandable and, hopefully, resolutions that will set me up for success instead of failure. 


So in light of the new year (only 6 days late) I am writing my new year's resolutions.


I resolve to be kinder, gentler, and more understanding of people, their circumstances, and the situations that may have brought them to this point in their life. 
I resolve to devote my heart, soul, and mind to Jesus as a servant of His word, deed, and action, in order to show His unconditional love for all.
I resolve to be a committed and loving wife to my husband, for whom God has placed in my life to make me a better person and Christian.
I resolve to love and care for my children unconditionally. No matter how crazy they might be driving me and to call on Christ in those moments of lost patience.
I resolve to take care of myself. My body, my mind, and most importantly, my spirit. To exercise, nurture, and feed all three with healthy and sustainable information and substance.


I think that is it. My mind went blank after that last one! I hope you have found some resolutions that you would be successful at for the year 2012 and that you and your family have a blessed and beautiful year!


Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment