Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

We're Choosing to Homeschool .. SO WHAT?!

Since we've made known our decision to homeschool our kids, we have been getting an array of responses. From extreme support to complete opposition.
True colors of people and their "conditional"support really comes out when you choose to do something that is out of the context of being "socially" normal.

The truth is, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about our choices for our children.
Yes, a little support would be nice.
But keep your constant opposing views to yourself.

The one thing I have learned through this process (and the insane amount of research I have done) is that people will always choose to live and believe in their own little bubble world.
What does it matter to you how I raise my children?
If they aren't out breaking the law, doing drugs, causing havoc, then what is your concern?
If they are reading one-two-three grade levels above their "grade," then what is your concern?
If they are being taught morals, values, and beliefs of our family, instead of learning what kids bring to the classroom, then what is your concern?
If my kids are well rounded, polite, well behaved children, what is it your concern how we educate them?

In Alaska, our resources are AMAZING when it comes to choosing to homeschool.
I'm not sure why, but I would assume probably because the remoteness of where people live.
Providing curriculum and getting it into the hands of parents that don't have access to public schools seems like an ideal situation to me.
Not that we don't have access to public schooling.

The homeschooling stigma is a very negative one.
One that I would hope our family and friends would know that we would never become.
I won't closet my children.
I know that educating them in this way they will get an even better education than the educational system could ever dream of providing.

So, for all you naysayers, that just HAVE to have an opinion about homeschooling. Do your research FIRST? Then show me studies where homeschooling is more negative on a society than positive.

Oh and just so you know, both my husband and I have master's degrees in education. What two better people to choose to homeschool their kids than us??

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! Several of my friends and two of my sisters-in-law homeschool and their kids are some of the most well adjusted, well informed children I know. I personally choose not to home school for the selfish reason of treasuring those hours of freedom when the kids are at school. However if for some reason I didn't agree with the school system or what they were learning or whatever I would homeschool too. So don't listen to the haters! Are you going to join a co-op or do it all independently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our school district actually has COOP Schools. So Kara is actually registered at a school. They will implement all testing like AYPs, MAP, etc., I'm not opposed to that because I think it's important to make sure she is learning.

    She is registered at Mat-Su Central School for the remainder of this school year. There is another school here that I love, several of my friends homeschool using that school as their base. They have more classes available. But for this year, we'll just use MSCS and go from there.

    ReplyDelete