Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Dairy Free Me

Since embracing my new ways of eating (by force) I have found a new love in new creations. And I think, so has my family. I am allergic to cow's milk, all it's preservatives, baker's yeast, and sesame. Like in a really bad way. Well not the way that would put me in the hospital, but in a way that makes my life and Aaron's very miserable. :)

So in order to make sure my belly isn't starving and my mood isn't swinging for lack of food, I've taken on the experimental way of cooking and food prep.

My mom was always making up weird things to feed us when we were growing up. I don't think we ever really ate the same thing twice in a month. Okay, maybe a month, but still. She'd see something on the TV or in a magazine and think to herself, "I can do that." It was like playing Russian Roulette sometimes. :)

Now, I don't necessarily cook or bake in that way, I do see a recipe that is loaded with a bunch of "no-nos" for me and I attempt to figure out how to make it my way. I also have several friends that have had to adapt recipes for their own families, not to mention the many vegan/vegetarian friends I have that have been so awesome in suggestions for me. I am not vegan, though I do love some of the vegan recipes I have come across.

At any rate, I am on a wrap kick lately. I love wraps. Mainly because I can have tortillas. Well not all of them, but the two brands I do buy I can have! Because bread is out for me, except for one brand my friend, Amber, found for me, I have grown to love more like obsess over tortillas. Taco Loco, a brand made locally in Anchorage is my favorite. But I've also found Tumaro's Organic Tortillas, especially the Spinach and Garden Vegetable one (YUM YUM!!!).

Changing my diet to really be honest and reflective of my body's needs has not been easy. Ask anyone that I am around regularly. I have bitterness in my heart that I cannot partake of my beloved Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Especially the holiday shaped ones. Those always taste so much better. :)

But I feel so much better when I don't eat the things I'm not supposed to. Not giving into the cheesecake at MOPS what a mean trick =) wasn't easy. But I know my belly thanked me later in the day when I gave it an organic dairy free peanut butter cookie!

This transition has only been made easy for me because my awesome hubby is so supportive and willing to try anything. He's even adapted some of his favorite recipes for me!

What are your favorite food things you've had to adapt or change to fit dietary restrictions?

No comments:

Post a Comment