Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Soap Opera Choices

My beautifully honest daughter posed a particularly interesting question to me, "Why do you like "Days of Our Lives, Mom?" In complete confusion, I simply could not come up with an answer that would suffice, nor justify, why I like my soap. I have been watching "Days" since age 14. I have watched my mom my entire life record and watch "General Hospital." She'd come home from work, make dinner, we'd eat, then she'd retreat to her room to watch "GH." Fast forwarding through the commercials. Perhaps this is where my aversion to commercials came from. I tend to mute the TV when watching episodes of my favorite shows. This provides for ample entertainment and peace and quiet from the annoying decibel changes in the sound.

Anyway, back to my soap opera addiction, I think the reason I watch this specific show is because I find the storylines absurd and intriguing at the same time. The acting is awful most days, the character creation is horrific, and the constant "island banishings" are annoying, but some of the characters have grown on me. Perhaps it's because the characters are in the same stage in life as I am with young children. There is one major difference between me and those characters that I minimally identify with, I have only been married one time, to someone that has not and will not cheat on me, brainwash me, disrespect me, hide my children from me, or have a secret in his past so terrible that it would rattle the graves of our ancestors. :)

To be honest, I have no idea, logically speaking, why I watch the shows I watch. It's a bit of a mental escape. It's something that gives me a moment of a peek into a fantasy life where no one works, but they all have phenomenal bodies, flawless makeup, designer clothes, beautiful homes, and they drink fancy coffee all the time. :) Who wouldn't want that life???

I am incredibly grateful for my life. I have friends, family, kids, and a special husband that adores and loves me. So to answer Kara's question as to why I watch this show, I still don't know. LOL! I doubt I will ever have the answer. I don't particularly enjoy the terrible acting, the corny storyline, or the constant bedroom eyes. But it is somewhat of an entertaining show. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment