Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A Mother's Responsibility

There has been a lot of well-made arguments spread lately as to the "distasteful" nature of a clothing line, or how our girls are being taught and perceived as objects. While, I agree to an extent this is taking place, I can't help but also disagree.

I am a mother of a daughter. With that, it means I am responsible for encouraging her self-image. She also has a father. He is also responsible. As parents, this means we take on responsibility for her, her upbringing, her well-being, her self-interpreted image.

Mothers have a HUGE responsibility in creating an environment that promotes self-positivity. If moms are constantly trying new fad diets, starving themselves, belittling various aspects of their appearance, always looking to better their appearance for vain purposes, what chance do our daughters have in growing up with a healthy self-image?

There is a significant absence in father/daughter relationships. Dads really have no idea the impact they have on their daughters self-esteem. It is my personal conclusion that if daughters had more interactive dads, clothing lines like the new Victoria Secret one, or shows, magazines, and other media wouldn't have much of a market.

Teaching our daughters their self-worth doesn't come from a clothing line. It comes from the home. It is my goal as a mother to be sure that I encourage my daughter in all things she sets her mind to. To encourage her to make healthy decisions, not because that will make her slim and "hot" but because it's important for our bodies that we make healthy choices. It is my goal as a parent to encourage healthy physical activities for my kids. It is also my job to raise them to be adults.

The actions I take as a mother now, will have unknown impact on my daughter's adult life. If I am concerned with being skinny or objectifying myself, I can only expect that she, too, would view herself in the same manner.

Teaching our daughters that loving their body doesn't start with preventing a clothing line from developing. It starts with the words and actions we take in our homes, the result would be less provocative clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment