Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Apple Pie

This week we have been engulfed in school, work, cleaning, organizing, playing, and Halloween. It has been super busy. I am very glad that it is Friday, and that tomorrow I have NOTHING that I have to do except work on organizing my time .. well that will be a task.

This week we read "Amelia Bedelia's First Apple Pie."

It was a great story for Kara to read. It was challenging in that it taught Kara that there are many different names and types of apples. It also made her laugh. I also think it indirectly taught her that sometimes things don't quite turn out how you would like, but there is always a backup event that can make things better.

In an effort to stretch my teaching training, I turned this little fun story into an entire unit. Yes, folks, even friendly children stories can be educational.

I stumbled upon this book on our library day last week and I just knew that Kara would love to read it and make an apple pie. We did the basic spelling words. But I added three vocabulary words with sentence use. And then I tested her. She got 100% on both the spelling test and the vocab/comprehension test. My test writing skills are still a bit amateur, but I think I'll get better as time goes on.

You'll probably have to click on it to read it, if you want to. :)

Kara decided since the book was about apples, we would make an apple tree with her spelling words on the apples for her to look at regularly. So .. we did....

She did quite well

I told Kara we would make the pie from the recipe in this book. Yes, this book included a recipe for apple pie. And I will be making a copy of it before I return it to the library! It was just that good!!

So we went shopping for Granny Smith apples .. as suggested in the story by "Grandpa." He said "they are the best for pies."

And we made the apple pie filling....
I peeled, cored, and sliced 8 cups of apples. Apple pie filling in the jar at the store would be much easier. However, I don't think it would've been as tasty!

Then we made the pie crust .. yes from scratch .. it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be .. and I don't have a picture of mixing it .. but here Kara is rolling it out....


I had to help her a bit. The marble rolling pin is a bit heavy. :)

Once we pulled it from the oven, it smelled and looked amazing. For being Kara's first homemade pie (and my first homemade apple pie) I think it's pretty amazing.

The crust was PERFECTLY cooked. Perfectly seasoned. Perfect thickness.

Final judgement was left up to our dinner guests, and they gave her ovation of goodness. Even had seconds on the pie!

My official judgement on the pie: Kara is on apple pie duty for Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment