Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

A New Birth

"Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without criticizing, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith without doubting. For the doubter is like the surging sea, driven and tossed by the wind. ......... By His own choice, He gave us a new birth by the message of truth so that we would be the firstfruits of His creatures." James 1: 5-6, 18

I have to admit, I haven't really ever focused on the book of James before. But this morning I was compelled to read James 1. I have a weird thing with trials in life. Because I believe our God to be good in all things, believing that he would PUT trials in my life is a hard pill to swallow. I know that Satan is one powerful being and will always be putting me to the test, to see where I am weak in my faith. Therefore, if Satan is testing me, then God isn't?!?! Right?

I read James 1: 2-18 and found that the writer never says that God is testing us. Just that our faith will be tested .. "Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance." James 1:2-3 ... just tells me that in going through trials in our life, that when we rely on the awesomeness and commitment of God, our faith will come out stronger and can endure more in this life.

As a fairly new Jesus-walker, I experienced one extreme trial from the start. Dealing with a drug addiction when I gave my life to Christ was one of the most difficult times. I committed to Christ to be the follower he calls for. Though, not in a sober frame of mind, I came through stronger. I ended the use of the drugs, and Jesus has been my prize ever since. That wasn't overnight, mind you. It was several months. And even after the fact, I still behaved in an unacceptable way. However, looking back to the summer of 2011, I can see exactly where I was walking, and where I was being carried.

Jesus was there. In the form of new friends, new church family, even to some extent my husband seemed different to me. "But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing." James 1:4 ... if I hadn't endured through that time in my life, if I hadn't committed myself to living and loving Jesus. I am unsure what my future would've been. My faith now is stronger.

James goes on to say that those that "lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without criticizing.." I'm not sure about you, but this SCREAMS at me that God is not only there to guide me, but he is there to help me through my self-inflicted trials in life, without criticizing me. He's not there to bullet point all the things I was doing wrong, but rather guide me in the direction of doing what is right. What is holy and pleasing to God.

"A man who endures trials is blessed, because when he passes the test he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him." v.12

And CLEARLY, plain as day in verses 13 and 14 it states "No one undergoing a trial should say, "I am being tempted by God." For God is not tempted by evil, and He Himself doesn't tempt anyone. But each person is tempted when he is drawn away and enticed by his own evil desires."

FRIENDS, GOD DOES NOT TEMPT US!!! HE REDEEMS US!!!

That is good news to me! Knowing that I simply can just resist my humanistic desires to sin, with the help of God, and also knowing that if there is a trial that is self-inflicted (Satan encouraged) .. all I need to do is call on God for wisdom and He will bring me through it. God is a god of LOVE and ENCOURAGEMENT. NOT a god of temptation and evil!! Be clear, friends, be clear.

I came out of my darkest hour last August. Not because of what I was doing. But because Jesus was there, holding my hand, carrying me at times, lifting me through the quicksand. I fell in love with following Jesus because he saved me from all that I was inflicting on myself!

"By His own choice, He gave us a new birth..."

No comments:

Post a Comment